Pages

Friday, July 2, 2010

Can't get enough of Lovely Complex

For those who are not into anime you have to check this one out and I believe that you will have a change of heart and will definitely like this one. Lovely Complex is a manga series by Aya Nakahara and was animated into 24 episodes. The title says what the leading characters main issue is about.
"The girl, Risa Koizumi, is 172 centimetres (5 ft 8 in) tall—much taller than the average Japanese girl. The boy, Atsushi Ōtani, is 156 cm (5 ft 1 in)—way below the height of the average Japanese boy. Because of this, they are called the "All Hanshin Kyojin" after a popular comedy duo that has a similar height difference." (LoveCom-Wikipedia)
What made me really like this anime is that it is not corny, I can relate to the love story, their comedy made me laugh and the drama made me cry. Unlike other animes which has drama, their drama is not something too pushy just to make a drama out of it. I love anime but not every single anime, I pick which one is the best for me. Honestly, I don't like drama animes or those which are too dramatic just for the heck of making the audience cry, I'd rather prefer animes which are really funny and has the right amount of drama when the right situation arises that's why this anime bewitched me. I already lost count as to how many times I watched this anime over and over again just to cheer me up. Whenever I feel down, I just open up my PC and play my Lovely Complex DVD then I feel alright again.
Even so, just like the other critics, I too have something to say about it. I think it would be better if Risa tried to forget her love for Otani after the first rejection, I mean she was rejected twice, how awful is that? The first rejection really made me cry but I also cried on the second time. But Otani rejecting Risa is not surprising anymore because in my own opinion, I too think that she will be rejected since Otani doesn't show any interest in her. But they can still be friends with their comedic acts together but I'd like to see a guy who would seriously fall in love with Risa and go after her in front of Otani. Yeah, there's Haruka, a handsome guy who is a childhood friend of Risa but I didn't like it when he confesses to Risa but went out with several girls saying that he is trying to practice to prepare himself when Risa becomes his girlfriend in the future. I mean, he should've gone after her right away instead, but of course the fact that he only see Risa as his "hero" merely means that he looks up to Risa as someone great and not as a girl. And also there's Maity Sensei, Risa's crush after her failure to capture Otani's heart despite doing the best she can. But he's not really in love with Risa, he was just helping her as a sensei (teacher). Anyways, if there's indeed such a character who would seriously fall in love with Risa, I think the love story would be more exciting. I mean, Risa is always with Otani or with their group of friends like Nobu-chan, Chiharu-chan and their boyfriends. But if that guy will pursue Risa, I'd like to think that he will be very persistent and serious, also very goodlooking and taller than Risa, then I think she will try to go out with him even just to try to heal her broken heart. With this Risa will no longer hang out with Otani or her friends as much as before and Otani will realize the loneliness of her absence. I'd like to see how Otani regrets his decision of rejecting Risa. That was really mean, I know he doesn't stand for half heartedness but still he could've tried to atleast go out with her since they are so close already. But of course, the leading couple should be together, so Risa will eventually break up with the guy and return to her friends and back to being with Otani. This time she will no longer try to get Otani's love again but instead Otani will see her as a girl after seeing her act like a girlfriend when she was still going out with that guy. Anyways, this is just my "what if's" and nothing more. I still like Lovely Complex the way the author did it and I enjoyed it a lot. Peace! ^_^

1 comment:

  1. There is also Lovely Complex Plus manga, it is the final addition to the manga which shows the life of Risa and Otani after high school. The author of Lovely Complex Aya Nakahara started to do a sequel as well, Lovely Complex Deluxe, however the main characters now are no longer Risa and Otani but Risa's brother Takato and a girl. Lovely Complex Deluxe is already out but have not been scanned and translated to english yet.

    ReplyDelete